Monday, November 24, 2008

fatass-ness y hope for the future!

I need you all to know about the food that I have been without for quite some time now. This is not complaining. I am simply trying to draw a picture and explain the seriousness of the situation. Because of the blockade among other things Cuba has limited imports and limited resources to grow their own produce. Don’t get me wrong, there is food here….rice, beans, bread, fried things, hot dogs, plenty of meat….it’s just that everything is very expensive is you can find it and if not….you just have to wait it out. We saw $14 kellog’s cereal!!!! (don’t know how to spell it) but the point is that to eat cereal it would cost u 14 dollars! Which…. The general level of monthly salary given at the typical job is around $10-12 dollars…. Now, because this (like most things the government awards) does not begin to cover the monthly costs of any living human being, there are sometimes, some people, who spend money on things like that….but….. not many, and usually $14 CUC would go towards something else a little more daring than cereal. (CUC stand for convertible currency… this is the dollar that is closer to the U.S. dollar in value. 24 dollars of national money make up 1 of the CUC. Most food on the street is in national money and things in stores are in CUC. The outdoor markets, like farmer’s markets are all in national money…. Blah blah. So… food.

Please understand that I have a pallet that is conditioned to enjoy certain foods and that I know what I’m missing when I have only been able to have frozen strawberries for the past four months, and I know what I’m missing when I’ve only had canned peaches for the past 4 months and I know what it means to barely have fresh veggies (besides the here and there cucumber) for four months. Now, others, folks who are used to their usual intake of veggies and fruits are much stronger and acclimated to the food. They do not have problems with their skin or digestion if they miss their daily 5 a day. For me. With the lovely privilege I have grown up with, missing my fiber has caused problems, and eating white bread almost tree times a day has caused problems and drinking juice at every meal has caused problems and eating pork fat almost everyday in almost all the sides and meat dishes has caused problems….

So, when u see me. I am going to have a face full of marks and battle wounds (pimples) from not eating my cushioned little diet and my tummy might have some extra love around it….hehe. no judging!

Appreciate the fruit around u. try to imagine, what your life would be like if you hadn’t ever tried a strawberry. IF YOU HAD NEVER HAD A STRAWBERRY. Please. Take a moment.

Or if u didn’t know what a burrito was….or if you had never put chicken masala on nann with mango chutney etc etc. it’s rough. BUT. Also, I have now had the privilege of having foods here that I can’t get anywhere else probably…. Fresh guava for less than a cent, really good (sometimes) homemade pizzas, congrejitos – donut type things with guava paste on the inside etc. etc.

But, back to the point. I have had sometime to plan things that I’m going to cook and or restaurants I want to go to. Now. If u have any interest in hangin out and hear more (as if ur not already bored with all this babble) PLEASE accompany me! Here is my list…hehe….TRUE FATASS. Love.

• baguette French toast
• French toast with fruit and chai whipped cream
• Quesadillas (there are no! (that I know of) tortillas here!!)
• Eel over brown rice and a cold glass of…GINGER BEER!
• King Yen Schezuan (can’t spell) chicken, shrimp and eggplant
• Thai curry eggplant dish
• Fiji water
• Aquafina
• Ethiopian food
• Thai sea food dish (place by lake merit)
• Black beans and maduros y sour cream
• Thai temple
• Fruit tarts
• Fat apple BLT and strawberry milkshake
• Spinach with garlic and brown rice
• Donut plant
• Frozen strawberries with honey and whipped cream
• Chai tea fro donut plant and other places
• Yogurt with fruit
• Lemon bars
• Pumpkin pie
• Cranberry bread
• Crepes
• Homemade apple sauce
• Grapes in a sandwhich
• Annies alfredo
• Chocolate cake
• Sushi from telegraph
• Indian food
• Prya
• Burritos
• Veggies
• All veggies

LOVE. Food is no joke. It changes livess

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

having lived a year abroad, I so feel your pain lil' mama. We are blessed in the Bay Area with fresh fruits and veggies aplenty and yummy food from around the world up and down every block. When I landed after a year away, I was driven straight to the Mission in SF to my favorite spot to have a burrito and a cold ass corona with lime. Ahhh. miss you! xoxoxo
jilie